The present Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wolborough dates from the 14th century with additional work in the 15th & 16th centuries. The font is Norman with cable and chevron carving and is thought to have come from an earlier church on this site. There is also an interesting late 15th century lectern, one of about fifty known to exist in this country, which is said to have been hidden in Bradley Woods during the Civil War.
The tower houses a fine peal of eight bells cast by Taylors of Loughborough in 1926. There is also a medieval bell dating from the early 14th century cast by John Bird of London (one of the original ring of five) now floor mounted near the rood screen in church.
A Church has stood on the site of St Mary the Virgin Wolborough for about 1,000 years; mention is made of a church building in the Domesday Book in 1080.The church originally served the village of Uleborough situated somewhere southwest of the church but the village has long since disappeared.
The parish of Wolborough now consists of southern and western Newton Abbot which was formed as a market town by Royal Charter in 1269. The Church is a grade 1 listed building in a perpendicular style with tall pillars having differently carved capitals, a barrel roof was added in the early 20th century. The churchyard which extends to some 4 acres is now full and was closed for burials in 1984.