St Paul's is a cruciform church situated on 1.5 acres of land in the centre of Devon Square and was built in 1861 and enlarged in 1886. It is a grade II* listed building of Devon Limestone and was built as a daughter church of Wolborough to cope with the sudden growth in population brought about by the railway development in Newton Abbot. 
The Church suffered some bomb damage on April 24th 1942 when most of its windows were lost, replacement windows were designed by Hubert Blanchford of Exeter. There remains a slight depression where the bomb exploded. 
The chancel is floored with Minton tiles.   The wooden bell turret contains a single bell.
 
 
The foundation stone was laid in 1859 and the Nave was completed and opened in 1860. The north and south transepts soon followed, together with the chancel. The church was consecrated on October 29th 1861, by Bishop Spencer of Jamaica, acting on behalf of the Bishop of Exeter. The architect was J.W. Rowell. The contractors were Wilcox and Woodley.